Sunday, November 18, 2012

The life of Crazy with D

Things have been a little (well maybe alot!) crazy around here this week.  I started a new Teacher Assistant position as my girl's school and D has been kicking our butt!!  Prior to this position I was at the elementary school across town.  Definitely more stressful when dealing with crazy a$$ numbers like we have been for the last couple of weeks.  Now keep in mind that we are in Canada so our BG's are measured in mmol/L so just multiply by 18 to get mg/dL.  Over the last 3 weeks we have had 4 sick days, 1 of which landed us in the ER on an IV drip.  Persistent high sugars over a couple of days that I was repeatedly correcting.....at least as much as possible on injections.  Monkey is currently on Humalog and Humilin N injections.  At supper that night she was 23.2 (417)  so I corrected.....again....and 3 bites into dinner I was hit with "Mama, my belly doesn't feel very good" and sure enough shortly there after I heard the unwanted "Bleagh!".  Now my girl has 3 extra units of insulin on board and NO carbs to cover it.  As the evening went on we tried juice, freezies & glucose tabs but nothing we could do would bring her sugar up.  I called the peds endo on call and he told me to take her in to the hospital. When we got there her sugar was 2.6 (46) :-(  We live in a small town so there usually isn't a huge wait at Emerg and they are REALLY good about getting peds patients seen quickly.  They had her in a room within 5 minutes and had an IV started about 10 minutes after that.  she was on a Dex drip for a few hours and the nausea seemed to have settled.  They let us go home about midnight and she seemed ok.  Of course I was up every 45 minutes checking her sugar levels but the nap I had the next afternoon really helped!  It took 2 days for her to finally start feeling 100% again.  What a long 2 days they were!

We actually had a few really good days as far as numbers go & I know that I should NEVER say that out loud.....it's like an automatic jinx!!  Apparently D hates it when we get comfortable.  Yesterday she woke up high again, 15.5 so I gave a small correction.  Her BG's hung out in the low 4's & 5's all day and now today we have been chasing lows ALL DAMN DAY!!!  She was 3.3 when she woke up, 3.8 at morning snack, 3.5 at lunch and it goes on.  I'm not sure what to expect when we have dinner tonight.  I am definitely looking forward to being on a pump.  The way her insulin is set right now is very hard to regulate.  She is on fixed doses and a fixed # of carbs at certain times.  & if she isn't hungry that's too bad she still needs to eat.  It's a good thing she has a good appetite most of the time!!

This week coming up is going to be an interesting one.  We have to head into Edmonton to see the Endo & her entire team at the Stollery.  It looks like it's going to be about a 3 1/2 hour appointment!!  Hoping for a good A1C and a happy Doc!!

No comments:

Post a Comment